This make-ahead Baked Coconut French Toast is the perfect breakfast for Mother’s Day. All the work is done the night before and all you have to do is pop it in the oven in the morning. Simple and scrumptious!
Make-Ahead Baked Coconut French Toast
With Mother’s Day quickly approaching, we are all thinking of ways to spoil the mothers in our lives. As a mother raising two little ones (ages 1 and 5), I can tell you that the thing I want most for Mother’s Day is a little relaxation. Someone else can do the cooking, I hope to eat my food while it is still warm, and maybe, just maybe, I’ll get to sleep in. I’m getting excited just thinking about it!
Today I’m bringing you a recipe that is perfect for Mother’s Day. This Baked Coconut French Toast is assembled the night before and baked in the morning. Anyone can assemble this dish (attention, kids: you’ve got this!). It’s as simple as placing some cubed bread in a casserole dish, whisking eggs, milk, sugar, coconut, and vanilla, then pouring it over the bread. That’s it!
Once the casserole bakes, it puffs up and becomes golden brown. The top is slightly crunchy and the interior is soft and fluffy. I like to serve it with a drizzle of warm maple syrup and fresh berries.
This French Toast gets a triple dose of coconut. There is coconut milk and shredded coconut mixed right into the French Toast, and then after baking, it gets topped with thick toasted coconut chips. Even with all that coconut, the coconut flavor is still delicate and subtle. If you’re not a fan of coconut, I also have a Brown Sugar Banana French Toast recipe that is equally delicious.
Whether you’re having a low-key morning at home (breakfast in bed is never a bad idea) or hosting a Mother’s Day brunch, this Coconut French Toast is sure to be a hit. Oh, and don’t forget the coffee. Mamas need coffee.
Wishing all of the mothers out there a beautiful Mother’s Day. I hope you feel loved and appreciated!
- 10 cups cubed French bread (approximately one 10 oz loaf)
- 5 large eggs
- 1⅓ cups unsweetened coconut milk
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¾ cup sweetened toasted coconut chips
- Maple syrup and fresh berries, for serving
- Butter a 2 or 2½ quart baking dish. Place the cubed bread in the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, coconut milk, sugar, vanilla, and shredded coconut until well combined. Pour the mixture over the bread. Gently move the bread around in the wet mixture to help coat all of the bread in the custard. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least two hours, up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove the cover from the french toast and bake for 30-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown, and the French toast is set (check that it is no longer wet in the center). Sprinkle the top with toasted coconut chips and serve with maple syrup.
We hope you enjoy this simple recipe for Baked Coconut French Toast from SoFabFood Contributor, Allison from Celebrating Sweets, as much as we do. If you love this breakfast idea, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a single recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!