This is the Best Detox Salad ever! It contains 5 super foods: Kale, pumpkin seeds, brussels sprouts, cranberries, and cabbage. Also in this sweet kale-based chopped salad is chopped broccoli and radicchio for a bit of color. Topping it off are dried cranberries for sweetness and pan-roasted pumpkin seeds for saltiness.
This salad is so simple to make thanks to the fact that many grocery stores are now offering pre-chopped veggies and/or pre-washed and ready-to-eat greens in the salad section. This is a huge time saver if you are in a crunch. Also, the dressing can definitely be made in advance, even the day before. Just give it a quick whisk prior to serving.
Orange Poppyseed Dressing Recipe
The Orange Poppyseed Dressing is one of my all-time favorites! In a small saucepan, I whisk cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Then, I add in orange juice, vinegar, mustard, and agave (or maple syrup, if you prefer).
Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in poppy seeds and a pinch of salt. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. This dressing recipe yields about 1-1/2 cups and keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days so there is plenty for leftovers.
In a non-stick skillet, I simply dry roast the pumpkin seeds over medium heat until they become slightly puffed and golden. You can also add a very small amount of oil to the pan and immediately salt or season them as they come out of the pan. I like to drain the excess oil on a few paper towels.
I love the contrast between the sweet and salty in this salad. Also, how easy is this to put together? Measurements are all estimates, so feel free to add more (or less) of these veggies.
This salad is so colorful, delicious, and can be enjoyed any time of the year. That’s why this is My Favorite Detox Salad!
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 2 cup kale, chopped
- 1 cup brussels sprouts, chopped
- 1/2 small cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 small radicchio, chopped
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp roasted pumpkin seeds
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 6 tbsp cold water
- 1-1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 4 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 tsp agave or maple syrup
- 1-1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Stir in the orange juice, vinegar, mustard, and honey. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in poppy seeds and salt. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, roast the pumpkin seeds. Using just a small bit of oil will help the salt adhere. Cook, stirring constantly, until puffed and golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Roughly chop all ingredients and toss with the orange poppyseed dressing.
- Top with the dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds.
Home Chef Tip: Save time and prepare the dressing in advance. Since it keeps a few days in the refrigerator, it makes enough for a few servings!
We hope you love this Detox Salad with Orange Poppyseed Dressing recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Aimee from The Veg Life, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this delicious recipe, be sure to visit our Salad Section for more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!