Flaky and cheesy, these Cheese and Pepperoni Pizza Hand Rolls should be the next thing you make. Perfect for lunch or dinner, this delightfully versatile recipe is simple to make and easy to customize!
One of the best things about pizza is its versatility. There’s the classic round pizza, then there’s pizza bread, pizza dip, pizza pinwheels, and so on. Personally, I’m a fan of these Cheese and Pepperoni Pizza Hand Rolls for their simplicity and versatility.
To add to the endless pizza well, today I’m sharing Cheese and Pepperoni Pizza Hand Rolls. Basically, all the deliciousness of pizza fixings baked inside puff pastry dough. The result is a light, airy, and flaky handheld bar of pizza goodness.
I stuck to the classic and familiar cheese and pepperoni combo for this recipe and added some love by using homemade ricotta cheese. To the cheese, I added spinach (to make it a healthy food), and seasoned it with fresh basil and dried oregano.
Cheese and Pepperoni Pizza Hand Rolls Recipe
With the filling done, all there’s left to do is assemble. Simply smear on pizza sauce down the center of slightly thawed puff pastry, top it with the cheese mixture, followed by mini pepperonis. Then, brush on some egg wash along one of the long edges of the pastry. Now it’s just time to close her up! You could roll it, but I found that it’s easier and neater to fold it like a business letter. Fold the side without the egg wash over the topping and then bring the side with the egg wash over. Gently press to seal and turn it seam side down. Slice into thirds, the perfect hand-held size.
Brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle on some freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Bake until the top gets golden and shiny.
Of course, you can customize these pizza hand rolls with any topping you’d like! Use ham and pineapple for Hawaiian-style. Or feta and kalamata olives for Mediterranean. How about chocolate and strawberries for a dessert pizza? Okay, you get the picture.
Cut them in half (before baking) and these delightful hand rolls make scrumptious and addicting snacks for a children’s party or appetizers for an adult’s party. If you don’t want to cook, you can even put out all the ingredients and throw a “Make Your Own Pizza Hand Roll” party. No matter what you use them for, these Cheese and Pepperoni Pizza Hand Rolls should be the next thing you make!
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry
- 8 ounces frozen spinach, thawed, or 5 cups fresh spinach leaves*
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, store-bought or make your own
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg plus 1 extra egg for an egg wash
- 2 1/4 cups pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup mini pepperonis
- Freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Remove frozen puff pastry from box and set on the counter or work surface.
- Remove the liquid from the spinach leaves by squeezing with your hands. Roughly chop.
- In a medium bowl, combine the spinach, cheese, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and 1 egg using a fork.
- At this point, the puff pastry should be pliable, but still cold. Unfold the puff pastry. If the dough is not pliable enough, let sit for another 10 minutes or until elastic enough to unfold without tearing.
- Cut the puff pastry lengthwise into two equal rectangles. To each rectangle, spread 3 tablespoons of pizza sauce down the middle. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture on top of the pizza sauce and sprinkle on the pepperoni.
- Make an egg wash by whisking together the remaining egg with a splash of water. Brush the egg wash on to the long edge of the puff pastry. Fold the non-egg-washed side over the filling and seal by folding down the side with the egg wash. Gently press to seal and turn over, seam side down.
- Cut the roll into thirds and transfer to the prepared baking sheets. Brush each roll with the remaining egg wash and sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 17 to 19 minutes, rotating half way through, until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.
Home Chef Tip: If using fresh spinach leaves, place spinach in gently simmering water for 45 seconds. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the spinach to a colander. Once cool enough to handle, squeeze out the liquid with your hands.
We hope you love these Cheese and Pepperoni Pizza Hand Rolls from SoFabFood Contributor, Patty from The PKP Way, as much as we do. If you love this delightfully simple recipe, be sure to check out our other pizza recipes for more like it. For more recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!