This healthy Chicken Asparagus Sweet Potato Skillet is full of tender chicken and family-friendly vegetables. It’s the perfect one-pan dish to satisfy your family on busy weeknights.
Like most of you, I am constantly trying to mix in healthier meals each week that actually taste good. The struggle is real here! That’s just how this tasty Chicken Asparagus Sweet Potato Skillet came together. It is a quick meal that is a weeknight winner.
My husband is super picky about vegetables, but he loves asparagus and sweet potatoes. In an effort to incorporate more vegetables into our regular meal rotation, I decided to combine two of his favorites into a skillet meal. I added chunks of chicken breast, and some mushrooms too for good measure. The dish wasn’t quite finished there though, because we all know everything’s better with a delicious sauce. This meal includes a fast gravy, also cooked in the skillet, to pour over the entire dinner.
Chicken Asparagus Sweet Potato Skillet Recipe
You’ll start by cooking seasoned chicken breast pieces in the pan with some olive oil. Once the chicken has finished cooking, add in all the vegetables. After that deliciousness is done, it’s time to make a gravy with all of the bits left behind. A little wine and butter create a velvety sauce that can be poured over the whole dish to finish it off. Fancier people call this “deglazing” the pan. Serve this dish immediately with a big hunk of bread for an unbeatable weeknight dinner.
The best part about this meal is you can switch out the vegetables according to your family’s preferences. Green beans, carrots, or squash would make yummy alternatives to asparagus or sweet potatoes if your household doesn’t love those like we do.
This dish easily becomes a freezer meal too. Prepare ingredients ahead of time and store in a plastic bag in the freezer. When you’re ready, simply add everything to the skillet to heat it up. You can pre-cook the chicken or freeze it raw. If you are using raw chicken, keep meat and vegetables in separate storage bags.
This Chicken Asparagus Sweet Potato Skillet is one of my all-time favorites. Skillet meals are fast, simple, and save time on clean up! What’s not to love there? I like to make these kinds of meals as often as I can get away with.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends removed and remaining cut in half
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tbsp butter
- Cut chicken breast into bite-size pieces.
- Season pieces with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large covered skillet.
- Add chicken to skillet, cook for 8-10 minutes until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add sliced mushrooms, cubed sweet potatoes, and asparagus to pan. Season more if desired.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 more minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from pan. Place in serving dish.
- Add white wine to pan, scrape bits off bottom of skillet. Bring to a low boil for 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Turn off heat and whisk in 2 tbsp cold butter.
- Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables. Serve immediately.
Home Chef Tip: Prepare chicken and vegetables ahead of time. Place ingredients in separate zippered freezer bags. Store in the freezer until ready to prepare meal.
We hope you love this Chicken Asparagus Sweet Potato Skillet from SoFabFood Contributor, Cathryne from Slice of Southern Pie, as much as we do. If you love this delightfully simple recipe, be sure to check out our other one pan recipes for more like it. For more recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!