This Gorgonzola Bacon Burger is a quarter pound beef burger seasoned to perfection and topped with fresh vegetables, bacon, and a delightful gorgonzola cheese sauce. It’s a sure fire hit at your next outdoor barbecue.
Summer time is the absolute best! I look for any reason to have a BBQ. Mostly, so I can make this Gorgonzola Bacon Burger! I used to think that I only liked the classic burger with cheddar cheese, lettuce, and tomato. Once I let the creative juices flow, I realized I could make some AMAZING burgers! I started making this Gorgonzola Cheese Sauce a couple of years ago to top a flank steak with (which is delicious by the way). I decided to try it on a burger, along with caramelized onions, bacon, and avocado on a toasted bun. It is restaurant quality in my mind! You may even be tempted to drink the gorgonzola sauce, but don’t do it because you’ll want to save it for the burger.
Also, isn’t avocado the best? I can’t seem to eat a burger without it anymore. Although I can’t seem to eat anything without it anymore! In fact, now that I think about it, I have had avocado with breakfast, lunch, and dinner today. Don’t worry, I only eat a little bit at a time. I do have some self control.
I had to put caramelized onions on as well. Often, when I make something, I ask myself, “can I add caramelized onions to this?”. They are divine. And topped with bacon?! Yes please! Can you tell I am passionate about all of these toppings? This truly is an all-star burger!
Fueling a Fit Fam focuses on using real food ingredients. Sometimes you might wonder how things like this would be considered “healthy.” Well, I think if you are using real food and you eat just a single serving, that’s healthy! So choose the best beef and bacon available and stick to whole wheat buns and that will make a huge difference. If you want to stay away from gluten, then skip the bun and wrap it in lettuce.
Home Chef Tip: To make this gluten free, ditch the bun and use a lettuce wrap instead.
- 1 pound ground beef, made into 4 patties
- Hamburger seasoning
- Whole Wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Choice of lettuce
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 pieces of bacon, cooked
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 pound Gorgonzola
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix meat with hamburger seasoning (to taste) and form into 4 patties.
- Grill patties, a couple of minutes on each side until no longer pink.
- Drizzle olive oil in a small skillet. Turn heat to medium and when hot, add the onions. Sauté the onions for about 15 minutes, until very soft and caramelized. Midway through, add the balsamic vinegar. When they are done, turn burner off and set onions aside for the time being.
- Don't forget to get bacon cooking!
- Heat a medium size saucepan over medium heat.
- Add butter to melt.
- Sauté shallots until tender.
- Add the heavy cream and let reduce by half.
- Turn heat to low, add the Gorgonzola, and stir until it melts. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper
- Toast hamburger buns.
- Layer bottom of bun, lettuce, patty, caramelized onions, bacon, avocado, Gorgonzola cheese sauce, top of bun.
We hope you love this Grilled Gorgonzola Bacon Burger recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Kristen from Fueling a Fit Fam, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this delicious recipe, be sure to visit our Grilling Section for more recipes like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single healthy recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. We hope that the rest of your summer is delightful, relaxing, and of course, delicious!