Herbs, including parsley, benefit the body in many ways. These five surprising Health Benefits of Parsley will change your life. Parsley is considered a natural detox remedy that can improve overall health and it adds a snappy flavor to your dishes!
Parsley is not only good as a decorative garnish or for seasoning your sauces, it also has little known health benefits as well. This herb is scientifically known as Petroselinum Hortense or Petroselinum Crispum, and belongs to the family Apiaceae. Parsley is an herb that originated in the Mediterranean region of southern Italy, Algeria, and Tunisia. Parsley is commonly used for garnishing and seasoning of foods. Let’s look at the healthy benefits.
5 Surprising Health Benefits of Parsley
- Parsley is a good source of folic acid, one of the most important B vitamins. The various beneficial antioxidants in parsley, such as vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, quercetin, and other flavonoids help to prevent oxidization in our cardiovascular system by neutralizing free radicals. This potentially reduces our risk of heart disease.
- Parsley is an excellent source of beta carotene, an antioxidant that can help protect the body against free-radical damage and fight the effects of aging.
- Use parsley daily and you’ll feel relief from joint pain because the herb has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Parsley is useful as a digestive aid with its high fiber content. This helps move foods through the digestive tract, controls blood cholesterol levels, and has a diuretic effect as well.
- The vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants found in parsley are helpful for strengthening immunity.
Try these recipes using parsley:
- You need to make this Strawberry Parsley Protein Smoothie first thing in the morning to jump start your weight loss journey. Strawberries and parsley are blended with apples, coconut water, and protein powder for delicious, all-morning energy.
- A new spin on the traditional tabbouleh, this Vegan Quinoa Tabbouleh is made with quinoa for a gluten-free version that’s packed full of spring vegetables. The broccoli, asparagus, and fava beans are bursting with color and flavor.
- This Spiralized Sesame Cucumber and Zucchini Bowl is loaded with fresh cucumbers, zucchini, broccoli, strawberries, garbanzo beans, and parsley. Topped with an oil and vinegar based dressing, this is one healthy meal!
- Tuna Salad with peas, green peppers, carrots, and yellow squash noodles is served in fun, edible Cucumber Veggie Boats for a simple and nutritious lunch. There’s no fork required for this lunch idea!
We hope you find this information about the 5 surprising Health Benefits of Parsley useful in your quest for a happier, healthier you. If you enjoyed this article, be sure to visit our Healthy Food Tips section for more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single healthy recipe, and for daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!
Disclosure: The author of this article is not a trained medical professional, nor a dietician. All of the information in this post is based on research and personal experience.