Healthy Quinoa Casserole with Spinach and Artichokes is a great addition to your holiday menu. This lightened up version tastes divine and is full of good for you ingredients!
Major holidays are upon us. Have you started planning out your menu?
For me, holidays mean being thankful, family time, and of course a lot of good food. The holidays are typically a time when all diets go out the window. The food on the table is always delicious, comforting, and most of it is packed with calories. Does that sound familiar?
But here’s the good news. You can have healthy and delicious at the same time by putting the right ingredients into your dishes. Slightly crunchy quinoa, vitamin boosting spinach (which by the way is healthier when cooked), zingy artichokes, and ooey-gooey cheese provide you with the ultimate bowl of comfort with less calories than similar dishes. There is so much goodness in each spoonful, you’ll be tempted to ask for more.
Quinoa Casserole with Spinach and Artichokes
I’ve been a fan of quinoa for a long time and I started experimenting with different quinoa recipes awhile ago. It’s such a versatile grain with a mild, nutty flavor that’s a little bit crispy and earthy.
Vegetable casseroles are a staple on every holiday table, but something tells me that quinoa casserole is something you’ve never tried before. If this is you, then the time couldn’t have been more perfect to incorporate quinoa into your favorite holiday meals.
This lightened up quinoa casserole does take some time to prepare, but is seriously worth it. Creamy, cheesy, and bursting with fabulous flavors. If your holiday menu consists of lots of heavy and meaty dishes, consider making this tasty casserole to lighten things up.
Have you cooked with quinoa before? What is your favorite way to enjoy it?
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz baby spinach, long stems removed
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained, tough ends removed and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup white cheddar, grated
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a medium pot, add quinoa and water and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes until quinoa is tender. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Pour in milk and keep whisking until no more lumps remain. Bring to a boil and cook for 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add spinach and allow it to wilt. Add artichokes, 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese, and stir until cheese is melted.
- Transfer the mixture into a prepared and greased 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese and Gruyere cheese.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until cheese is golden brown on top.
- Serve warm!
Home Chef Tip: You can refrigerate a cooked casserole in an airtight container for up to 3 days. You can also make this casserole with your other favorite cheeses, like Parmesan or Mozzarella.
We hope you love this recipe for Quinoa Casserole with Spinach and Artichokes from SoFabFood Contributor, Iryna from Lavender and Macarons, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, be sure to check out our other Side Dishes so that you’re always ready for the upcoming holidays and weeknight meals. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!