This attractive Squash Quinoa Bake is a hearty, seasonal recipe that is good used as a side dish or as a main course. Guests will be impressed by this dish and you don’t need to share with them how easy it is to make!
Squash Quinoa Bake Recipe
This Squash Quinoa Bake recipe comes together quickly and is perfect as a deliciously seasonal side dish, hearty lunch, or vegetarian dinner option.
The squash and quinoa cook at the same time, so this dish can be ready in just over a half hour. This dish is perfect for leftovers and can be quickly reheated in the microwave. It is a work or school lunch that is a nice break from the usual. Kids will enjoy having a personal squash, which is fun to eat.
Rice can be substituted for the quinoa, if desired. Really any toppings can be added to this recipe to give it the flavor that you prefer.
If not serving immediately, squeeze a small amount of lemon over the avocado to keep it from browning.
- 2 Mini butternut squash
- 1 Acorn squash
- 1/2 Cup black beans, drained
- 1/4 Cup dry quinoa
- 1 Yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1/4 Cup feta cheese (optional)
- 2 Tbsp sour cream (optional)
- Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Cover the bottom of a baking tray with a thin layer of water. Place each half of the squash face down on the tray and bake for 30 minutes until the squash is soft.
- Cook the quinoa per directions while the squash is baking. When the quinoa is done, add in the beans and chopped yellow peppers. Mix together to combine and then set aside.
- Make a “bowl” in the middle of each piece of squash and then fill each half of the squash with the quinoa mixture.
- Top each half squash with feta cheese, avocado slices, and sour cream. Sprinkle with fresh ground pepper before serving.
Home Chef Tip: This makes a great lunch for work or school the next day, so make extra!
The versatility of this recipe is fantastic and the presentation is amazing. Bright and colorful, single-serve dishes are always a hit at the dinner table.
We hope you love this delightful recipe for Squash Quinoa Bake from SoFabFood Contributor, Bella from xoxo Bella, as much as we do. If you love this simple recipe, stop by our Dinner section to find more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and you can visit our Pinterest boards for even more incredible dinner ideas. Enjoy!