If you’re craving the bold flavors of a traditional taco salad, but you need to ditch the carbs, you are going to absolutely love this simple and versatile Veggie Power Bowl recipe!
One of my favorite “go-to” meals to get via the ever-so-popular, drive-thru Mexican-style restaurant is a Veggie Power Bowl. It’s like a traditional taco salad without all of the carbs. It contains everything you could ask for and is easy to eat with a fork – a plus for me, since I unfortunately tend to occasionally wear my food. Sometimes, when I am pressed for time, I get these to bring home and use them to make my own soft tacos.
Veggie Power Bowl: Vegetarian Taco Salad
We have all of the essentials: A base of shredded iceberg lettuce, black beans and latin or white rice, tomato and onion salsa with Italian parsley, guacamole, and sour cream. Top it off with your favorite Mexican cheese and it’s perfect just like this. You could opt to add seasoned ground beef (or ground crumbles, if vegan). One of my new favorite additions, and quite an unexpected one, is seasoned hash brown country-style potatoes. The possibilities really are endless.
The creamy guacamole recipe is simple as well, with a secret ingredient that gives it a bit of tanginess which I happen to love. Mashed ripe avocados are combined with freshly squeezed lime juice, mayonnaise (vegan alternative available), cilantro (or Italian parsley if you aren’t a fan of cilantro), and seasoned with salt and pepper.
I like mild taco sauce and sometimes, a spicy ranch on my Veggie Power Bowl. Creamy jalapeño or chipotle sauce would be nice options as well.
So what do you put in your Veggie Power Bowl? Leave a comment and let me know below!
Home Chef Tip: If you are vegan, there are vegan alternatives available for the mayonnaise, cheese, and sour cream.
- 3 large ripe Hass Avocados, halved, pitted, and scooped out
- 1 tsp fresh Lime Juice
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp finely minced Cilanto or Italian Parsley
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 large handful of torn Iceberg Lettuce
- 1/4 cup of cooked White or Latin Rice
- 2 Tbsp Black Beans
- 1 Roma Tomato, diced
- 1 Tbsp White Onion, diced
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Sauce of choice
- To make the guacamole: Mash ripe avocados until they are smooth and add in lime juice, mayonnaise, cilantro (or Italian parsley if you aren't a fan of cilantro), and season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the tomato salsa by combining the diced tomatoes, onions, and parsley.
- Assemble the power bowl by creating a base with the lettuce on one half of the plate with the rice and beans on the other.
- Create mounds of the individual toppings such as the guacamole, tomato salsa, and sour cream.
- Top with shredded Mexican cheese and sauce.
We hope you love this Veggie Power Bowl recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Aimee from The Veg Life, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this delicious recipe, be sure to visit our Salad Section for more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!