Keep breakfast on the lighter side with a Skinny Blueberry French Toast Casserole made with egg whites, almond milk, and tons of fruit. This make-ahead breakfast is one you definitely need to try!
Mother’s Day is right around the corner and being an only child means I get my mom all to myself. As I grow older, I am becoming closer and closer to my mother. She is amazing in the kitchen, so every time I cook for her, I feel the pressure to make something wonderful in her honor.
We like to spend the entire day together to celebrate which means starting the morning off with a hearty, healthy breakfast. My mom is a huge fan of sweets so when thinking of a breakfast recipe she would love, I knew the dish needed to be sweet rather than savory. One thing we both love is French Toast, but it can be packed full of calories. This Skinny Blueberry French Toast Casserole is a healthy version that is both good for you and tasty.
Skinny Blueberry French Toast Casserole Recipe
This Blueberry French Toast Casserole recipe may not be as pretty as some French toast recipes, but it tastes amazing, trust me. Another perk is that it only takes about 10 minutes to prepare. You can throw it all together, bake it in the oven, and serve it warm. While the casserole bakes, you can give your mom her special gift or card and chat over coffee.
After breakfast my mother and I usually go downtown to window shop, or maybe visit a winery. Sometimes we head out on a hike followed by a picnic in the park. It is always so wonderful spending time together and celebrating her!
I love this Skinny Blueberry French Toast Casserole to the moon and back. You can have additional helpings if you like, without the guilt. I like to freeze the rest of the casserole for a rainy day.
- 1/2 loaf of whole wheat/whole grain bread, chopped with crust on (I love sprouted grain)
- 4 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 9 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup honey, plus more for topping
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon, more if you like
- Lite Maple Syrup
- Arrange half of the bread pieces in a glass casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Spread half of the blueberries.
- Spread remaining bread, top with remaining berries.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the almond milk, egg whites, honey, extracts, and cinnamon together until well combined.
- Pour mixture over the bread evenly.
- Allow to sit for at least an hour.
- Cook at 350ºF for 45-60 mins, or until moisture has been mostly removed and top of bread is crispy.
- Top with syrup and honey.
- Serve hot.
Home Chef Tip: Swap out the blueberries for any of your other favorite fruits, such as bananas and strawberries. Adding almonds, pecans, or walnuts will also make this recipe even more delicious!
How do you like to celebrate Mother’s Day? Looking for other breakfast recipe ideas? Try this delicious Berry Puff Pancake recipe. These make-ahead Sante Fe Breakfast Burritos are bound to impress Mom on her special day too. Need table top decor inspiration? Look no more! Check out how I threw a fun girls’ brunch here! No matter how you spoil your mom, she will just be happy to spend quality time with you. Happy Mother’s Day!
We hope you enjoy this Skinny Blueberry French Toast Casserole recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Tara from Lace & Grace, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Breakfast Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!