These Grilled Bison Burgers are sure to be a hit at your next BBQ! The ground bison is simply made into quarter pound patties, grilled, then topped with manchego cheese, bacon, lettuce, onions, pickles, and served on a gluten-free bun with a side of oven roasted french fries.
All-Star Grilled Bison Burgers
Ever since getting turned onto bison a few years ago, it’s become my go-to choice for hamburgers, meatloaf, and stews. Bison has great flavor, and bison is leaner and lower in fat than beef, and I really appreciate that it’s safe to assume the bison you are buying is grass-fed and pasture raised, because bison can’t be raised in cramped corners or feedlots. Grass-fed bison are a great source of healthy Omega-3 fatty acids that our bodies can’t make on their own, so we must get them from food sources. The taste of bison isn’t that much different than traditional beef, though it has a lightly natural sweetness to it, is often very tender, yet is still quite savory and meaty, and it’s fabulous when grilled in a burger like this one!
I like to pair my bison burgers with manchego cheese (from sheep’s milk), pasture raised pork bacon, mustard, mayo, red onions, and dill pickle slices, on a gluten-free bun. My go-to gluten free hamburger buns are from Angie’s Gluten Free Kitchen in McMinnville, Oregon, or if I am making my own grain-free buns, I use my Paleo Hamburger Bun Recipe. Feel free to use any bun you please, or keep it simple and use the “lettuce wrap” method.
These bison burgers are savory, flavorful, and topped with all the right fixings. I love to serve these burgers on gluten free buns with a side of oven roasted french fries.
- 1 pound ground bison meat
- 4 to 8 slices of bacon
- 8 slices manchego cheese
- 4 gluten free or Paleo hamburger buns (see notes above)
- sliced red onion
- sliced dill pickles
- green leaf lettuce
- serve with side of oven roasted french fries or a side salad
- Slice onions, prep lettuce, pickles, lightly oil buns (for toasting on grill). Prepare side dish, if making french fries, slice them, toss in avocado oil and sea salt and bake in oven at 425ºF for approximately 25 minutes, tossing halfway through cook time. Or prep side salad.
- Cook bacon.
- Clean and oil grill, then preheat grill to 550ºF.
- Form ground bison meat into 4 patties, ¼ pound each. I flatten the patties in-between two pieces of parchment paper, so they are nice and flat before grilling.
- Grill burgers for 4 minutes on the first side, then flip and grill another 3 to 5 minutes on the other side, or until thoroughly cooked, and internal temperature reaches 140ºF for medium to 160ºF for well done. I add slices of manchego cheese as soon as I flip the burgers, and close grill cover to help melt the cheese.
- When burgers are done, remove from heat, and let burgers rest a couple minutes while you toast the buns on the grill.
- Top toasted buns with mayo, mustard, lettuce, burger, cheese, bacon, pickle, and onion. Serve with your choice of side dish. Enjoy!
Home Chef Tip: For burgers that cook nice and evenly, I like to flatten out the burger patties in between 2 pieces of parchment paper before grilling. The parchment paper helps to prevent the meat from sticking to my hands, and allows me to flatten the patties quite nicely.
Have you tried bison before? What is your favorite way to enjoy bison? We hope you love these Grilled Bison Burgers from SoFabFood Contributor, Andrea from Forest and Fauna, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple recipe, be sure to visit our Grilling Section for more recipes like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single healthy recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!