This Reduced-Calorie Chicken Salad recipe is filled with grapes and celery and tossed in lower-calorie dressing. Serve this healthier classic with lettuce, crackers, or bread for a hearty and nutritious meal.
This is Allison from Celebrating Sweets, and today I’m bringing you a healthier classic with this Reduced-Calorie Chicken Salad recipe!
Chicken salad is one of my favorite quick and healthy meals. My family always packs lunches for work and school and this chicken salad is often in our lunch rotation. It’s easy to get in a lunch rut, but I try really hard to avoid turning to fast food or cafeteria food (blech!) by having nutritious, flavorful food in the fridge and pantry at all times.
Tip: Check out my other Lunch Ideas. I have hundreds of combinations!
Reduced-Calorie Chicken Salad – A Healthier Classic
Chicken salad gets a bad rap because it’s often loaded with fat and calories. This recipe is just as good as a classic chicken salad, but you can actually feel good about eating it! I lighten it up by reducing the mayo and adding plain yogurt and lemon juice. I also add grapes, celery, parsley, and salt and pepper to ensure there is plenty of flavor and texture going on in there.
I love this chicken salad just the way it is, but depending on what ingredients I have on hand, I have also made it with the following changes:
- Swap the grapes for chopped apple.
- Switch the parsley with fresh dill.
- Add one teaspoon celery seed.
- Mix in a handful of dried cranberries.
- Add in a handful of chopped pecans.
Use my recipe as a base and play around with it until you get this exactly the way you like it!
You can serve this chicken salad in lettuce cups (my fave!) or with crackers or bread. Whatever way you choose to serve it, I hope you enjoy this satisfying, protein-packed meal!
- ⅓ cup mayo
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh parsley
- 3 cups cooked, chopped chicken breast (skin removed)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped celery
- ⅓ cup chopped grapes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine mayo, yogurt, lemon juice, and parsley. Stir until combined.
- Add chicken, celery, grapes, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Refrigerate until you’re ready to use it.
Home Chef Tip: Use the white meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken; it makes great chicken salad!
We hope you enjoy this Reduced-Calorie Chicken Salad healthier classic recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Allison from Celebrating Sweets, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Salad section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!